Skilled Independent Visa Australia (Subclass 189)

If you’ve got qualifications and skills that are in demand, the Skilled Independent visa might be compatible for you.

As a permanent residency visa, candidates are required to pass a points test and don’t require sponsorship.

This visa allows you and family members who’ve also been granted this visa to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia's health care scheme
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (afterward, you’ll need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia)