The Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) has updated the official data on the number of temporary foreign worker (TFW) positions on positive Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) in the last quarter of 2020. In the fourth quarter of the year, Service Canada issued 40,690 LMIAs, 13,792 more compared to the third quarter. This number is almost equal to the last quarter of 2019 when there were 40,863 approved LMIAs. In total, ESDC issued 123,312 positive LMIA decisions in 2020. Despite the pandemic, Canada issued only 6,246 LMIAs less compared to 2019. At the same time, this data includes the number of LMIAs issued in support of work permits and counts only the number of LMIAs and not the number of positions under one application. ESDC also excludes LMIAs in support of permanent residence from these statistics.
- Canada cannot keep Chinese international students in Canada
- Canada’s Senate adopted changes to Oath of Citizenship
- The government introduced special measures for residential camp counsellors
- Canada introduced guidance on abuse for vulnerable workers
- OINP nominated 5,159 foreign nationals in 2021
- Canada Border Services Agency needs to develop a new biometric strategy