According to the official data by IRCC, in 2020, Canada issued 215,080 work permits under the “Canadian interests” category. This category includes sportsmen, scholars, culture workers, and international graduates. This number is only 8% lower compared to 2019 when 233,430 work permits were issued. As for farmworkers, they made up the second-largest group. IRCC issued 54,145 work permits, a 6.1% decline compared to 2019. The number of TFW who needed LMIA dropped by 13% from 35,365 in 2019 to 30,890 in 2020. The biggest decline was for foreign workers under trades agreements and caregivers, whose number dropped by 31% and 49%, respectively. In total, 322,815 foreign nationals received a work permit under various temporary foreign worker programs, 10% less than in 2019.
- Canada cannot keep Chinese international students in Canada
- Canada’s Senate adopted changes to Oath of Citizenship
- The government introduced special measures for residential camp counsellors
- Canada introduced guidance on abuse for vulnerable workers
- OINP nominated 5,159 foreign nationals in 2021
- Canada Border Services Agency needs to develop a new biometric strategy