Canada approved 123,312 applications for Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) from Canadian Employers wishing to hire Temporary Foreign Workers. The highest number of approved LMIAs was for employers in Ontario – 40,053 (32.5%). Quebec is second with 32,965 LMIAs (26.7%). British Columbia was the third with 30,380 approved LMIAs (24.6%). These three provinces combined hold 83.8% of all approved LMIAs in 2020. The biggest drop in LMIAs was in Alberta – while in 2019 there were 12,834 LMIAs, due to limitations imposed by the provincial governments on LMIAs for certain NOCs, there were only 8,045 in 2020.
- Canada cannot keep Chinese international students in Canada
- Canada’s Senate adopted changes to Oath of Citizenship
- The government introduced special measures for residential camp counsellors
- Canada introduced guidance on abuse for vulnerable workers
- OINP nominated 5,159 foreign nationals in 2021
- Canada Border Services Agency needs to develop a new biometric strategy