On July 15, 2021, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Marco Mendicino announced that starting from July 26, 2021, applicants of the recently opened pathway to permanent residence will be eligible for an open work permit while awaiting the results of their application. The new pathway to permanent residence was opened for 90,000 essential workers and international students who graduated from a Canadian institution on May 6, 2021. Applications for the new work permit will be accepted online. Additional details about the application process will be added to IRCC’s website on July 26, 2021. Open work permits issued under this policy will be valid until December 31, 2022.
- International students still struggle to get permanent residency
- Workers of the Canadian Border Service Agency voted in favour of strike action
- Canada will invite a record number of immigrants this year
- Ministers discussed the importance of long-term planning in the immigration system
- British Columbia held a new draw in the BCPNP Tech
- Manitoba conducted MPNP draw #122