On May 27, 2021, the Government of Canada introduced new eligibility criteria in International Mobility Program for Specific Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) holders currently residing in Quebec. New instructions update the eligibility criteria to allow applicants who are on maintained status or eligible for restoration as a worker to qualify for this Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption. Now, to be eligible for a work permit, foreign nationals must have a CSQ at the time of their initial work permit application under this exemption if they have not yet submitted their permanent residence (PR) application. If applicants have submitted their PR application before the expiry date of the CSQ, they still qualify for LMIA exemption if the application is still in process. Work permit applications and renewals may be issued under this LMIA exemption, even if the CSQ is expired.
- Canada cannot keep Chinese international students in Canada
- Canada’s Senate adopted changes to Oath of Citizenship
- The government introduced special measures for residential camp counsellors
- Canada introduced guidance on abuse for vulnerable workers
- OINP nominated 5,159 foreign nationals in 2021
- Canada Border Services Agency needs to develop a new biometric strategy