On June 18, 2021, the Government of Canada announced 3 new initiatives to offer asylum to more people, welcome more refugees through new channels, and support them through community sponsorship. Refugee claimants can apply for asylum through Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot, Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program, and Protected persons Canada pathways. In 2021, almost 17,900 protected persons received permanent residency in Canada. This year, the Government increased the quota for protected persons from 23,500 to 45,000, which allows the country to welcome more asylum seekers.
- International students still struggle to get permanent residency
- Workers of the Canadian Border Service Agency voted in favour of strike action
- Canada will invite a record number of immigrants this year
- Ministers discussed the importance of long-term planning in the immigration system
- British Columbia held a new draw in the BCPNP Tech
- Manitoba conducted MPNP draw #122