The Senate of Canada adopted Bill C-8, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act that was sponsored by Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship. Now, newcomers to Canada learn more about Indigenous history and rights, since legislation to change Canada’s Oath of Citizenship to include a promise to respect the Aboriginal and treaty rights of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis has been adopted in the Senate. The amendment was in response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s call to action number 94.
- International students still struggle to get permanent residency
- Workers of the Canadian Border Service Agency voted in favour of strike action
- Canada will invite a record number of immigrants this year
- Ministers discussed the importance of long-term planning in the immigration system
- British Columbia held a new draw in the BCPNP Tech
- Manitoba conducted MPNP draw #122