Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC), has emphasized the need to modernize Canada’s immigration system so that future public health crises don’t threaten the economy the way COVID-19 did. He also highlighted the contributions of immigrants into the country and for the Canadian economy, and the need for transformation and modernization of the system, so that it can accommodate the great demands that are placed on it. According to the Minister, the new system will be a “shift in the paradigm in the way we talk about immigration,” that will get rid of discriminatory practices like “ranking immigrants one against the other”.
- International students still struggle to get permanent residency
- Workers of the Canadian Border Service Agency voted in favour of strike action
- Canada will invite a record number of immigrants this year
- Ministers discussed the importance of long-term planning in the immigration system
- British Columbia held a new draw in the BCPNP Tech
- Manitoba conducted MPNP draw #122