The outbreak of the COVID-19 affected the work of Express Entry. In 2020, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) concentrated on the provincial nominees and candidates in the Canadian Experience Class. From September to December 2020, IRCC started again to accept candidates in the Federal Skilled Worker program, however, since January 2021, the Immigration Department again returned to the practice of PNP and CEC-specific draws. In one of the interviews with Minister Marco Mendicino, he was asked about the overall immigration targets, Mendicino said that he is confident that as we see more Canadians get vaccinated, we find ourselves in a better position, and by this summer and fall we hopefully will be able to welcome newcomers eventually as we have always done. Following the introduction of the new temporary pathways and CEC draws, IRCC will have to eventually get back to the candidates overseas to meet the immigration targets.
- Canada cannot keep Chinese international students in Canada
- Canada’s Senate adopted changes to Oath of Citizenship
- The government introduced special measures for residential camp counsellors
- Canada introduced guidance on abuse for vulnerable workers
- OINP nominated 5,159 foreign nationals in 2021
- Canada Border Services Agency needs to develop a new biometric strategy