In Canada, permanent residents are required to meet residency obligations in order to renew their PR cards. According to Section 23 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, a permanent resident must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. Currently, many permanent residents, especially parents/grandparents who are outside Canada stuck in other countries, and their PR cards have expired. Since permanent residents are required to have a valid PR card to enter Canada, those whose PR cards are expired will have to apply for a travel document to come to Canada. It is still questionable whether they can be eligible to be exempted from the residency obligations.